Businesses are undergoing digitization at a rapid pace. Cyberspace is the new virtual world that has made the world a well-connected place. It has opened up a new horizon of opportunities for the companies. New technologies like Artificial Intelligence and Cloud Storage & Computing have revolutionized the digital world. IT needs to step up to the challenges posed by cyber security threats. They need to identify the risks and take preemptive actions to secure the digital assets of the company against any cybercrime.
Cyber Security Threats
- Cloud susceptibility – More than 80 per cent of the workload is on the cloud infrastructure and hence it is the most vulnerable to any sort of cyber attack. Data breach, account hacking, system hijacking are some of the major threats to Cloud.
- AI Fuzzing – AI is a double-edged sword, although it is used to create tools to enhance productivity and remove system vulnerabilities. However, if the intent is malicious then it can also be used to pant and implement sophisticated cyber attacks.
- Phishing – It is one of the most common forms of Social Engineering attacks which have caused the major data breaches and financial information theft. The malware software is usually installed in the user system through apps like WhatsApp, Skype, WeChat, etc.
- Deepfake – It is also one of the most common forms of causing unrest and influencing people’s minds through fake videos on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Fake information is also one of the common tools used to influence people to take wrong decisions or impersonating someone to gather critical information.
- Trojans – These are one of the oldest types of viruses which infiltrate the security of the system through impersonating normal software and once it enters it replicates at such a fast pace that it crashes the entire system.
Steps to counter these threats
- Prevention is always better and cheaper than cure. Staff acclimatization and training proves a breakthrough in countering cyber-attacks and preventing them from attacking system. Cyber security awareness should always be high among persons using IT infrastructure.
- Systems should always be updated with the latest Security software which have the information about all the latest viruses and threats so that it can handle any adverse situation.
- Laptops and Desktops are the entry points to your server and any node in the network is critical for security so we need to protect all the entry and endpoints of the network.
- System access should be controlled and authorized at all times. Data should be backed up at regular intervals and there should be firewalls and password system to prevent any unauthorized access or any virus entering the system.
- Always remember every system and every company is vulnerable to such attacks and it has nothing to do with the company size. Sometimes a small company may hold vital information which a hacker is seeking.
Despite all the above threats the business is thriving and shall continue to do so. All the above steps ensure that all these cyber security threats can be kept at bay. You just need to be alert and take all the necessary steps as advised by your Cyber security experts to keep your systems and data secure at all times. Proper planning and committed resources can go a long way in warding off such threats.