COVID-19 pandemic has left all of us locked at our places. To interact, coordinate, explain new strategies, keep track of the team’s performance, and especially to drive results with a team sitting at home is a big challenge faced by leaders.
Here are five tips to build with a stronger team during a pandemic:
1) ACCEPT LOSS
- As teams work remotely, leaders need to lead a team by supporting their team instead of yelling at them.
- Both parties need to accept the loss and stay calm to focus on targets.
- Being a leader, you need to ensure the availability of laptops, internet access, and other resources for your teams to work.
- The reporters and news may leave everybody in panic. Even the different environments of ‘WORK FROM HOME’ might affect the productivity of the team. Make sure that you stand by their side and help them adapt to such changes without missing their performances.
- Understand employee’s situation; try having a one-on-one conversation with them, a platform where they can discuss their concerns more confidently.
2) LEAD STRONG MEETINGS
- If you work remotely, visual meetings are important to keep teams working and tracking their timely performances. You can use endless tools available in the market like Zoom, Skype, and slack, etc. for a perfect team meet. Adopt the following things:
- Schedule more and more meetings, break periods to discuss the project updates on pre-planned occasions.
- Work on setting agenda, and always stick to it while taking meetings, this will save time.
- Always ensure to share the ‘follow-up email’ summarizing the key points of discussion.
- While presenting yourself, make sure that the tools or software have to be bug-free.
- Banter; use this as a medium to explain your points.
3) USE THE VIDEO TO MOVE THE TEAM
- Work-from-home and current pandemic may make the employees lose their interesting working resulting in the increase of coffee/tea breaks and others. To keep a track of this try conducting video calls often to make sure that the team is working with their full potential.
- This visual communication will keep the spirit of working from home alive.
4) KEEP COMMUNICATING
- Communication is the key to SUCCESS, so be vocal about the things happening around by motivating your team every back and forth.
- Regular updates not only from a leader but also from the CEO and other departments on new strategies or changes are important for the team to understand the company goal well.
5) LET YOUR FAITHFULNESS BE IN YOUR GUIDE
- Be a leader; lead a team with trust and conviction, make KRAs for the performance measurement of the team.
- Accept that productivity may decrease over the first few weeks, so manage your expectations realistically. Do not impose your frustration on them. Set goals that are inclined with the company’s needs taking into account the mental health situation of the team and limited resources caused by the current pandemic.
Empathy is the power, understand the fact that everybody is going through hidden problems and struggling in personal and professional lives, so losing a temper will not generate results rather it would worsen the entire situation!